Monday, June 22, 2009

goodbyes - march, week one...

march was my final month in guatemala. i decided to spend a month in guatemala/central america for a time of goodbyes and visits after wrapping up with semilla and mcc the end of february (see last post).


the first week of march, a good friend and former co-worker from michigan, sharon, traveled to guatemala with her college-age son nick and we had a remarkably hitch-free week visiting communities around guatemala.



















it was great to have some "intersection" in my life - people from "back home" who were able to come and connect with the new life i had in guatemala.
my life has many beautiful people, places and experiences in it, but more and more often no intersection between them. so life becomes compartamentalized, places and experiences isolated, and me feeling ultimately alone, without anyone to co-remember and reflect on these people and places once I (re)enter the next place.

so it did my heart good to have friends from michigan who came and bridged two of my worlds; who can help me remember - and grieve - the loved ones and places i have now left behind in guatemala. and keep life at least a little less disjointed.

No comments: